<span class="highlight">LED</span> <span class="highlight">light</span> bars

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 18, 2012 at 14:50
ThreadID: 99537 Views:1952 Replies:1 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I had a look at a thread on light bars here from 15 months ago and was just wondering what peoples thoughts and experiences were now they have been on the market a bit longer. Certainly seeing more on the road over the last 6 months.

Looking at the specs is confusing, leds seem to be 3, 5 or 10 watts but a lot of adds the number of leds x watts don't seem to add up the the total watts of the bar. then there are single and double row leds.

Doing my head in.
P.S. I don't do a lot of high speed highway driving at night

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Dec 19, 2012 at 22:02

Wednesday, Dec 19, 2012 at 22:02
Noldi,

I got a light bar from Bright Lights, about 30" long. Has two rows of LED's, and works well. Good spread, but for distance you need pencil beams. Have HID inserts in Hella 4000's.

The light bars sold by Snake Racing are good, and depending on size, give a huge amount of light. You pay for the privilege though.

Even at 90 clicks in a road train, it's nice to have more light than you need. Less eye strain is biggest benefit.

Msg me if you want more info,

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 500709

Follow Up By: Member - Noldi (WA) - Thursday, Dec 20, 2012 at 11:26

Thursday, Dec 20, 2012 at 11:26
Thanks Bob, sounds like the same performance as was discussed some time ago, I thought there may have been some improvement over the last year or so.

Thanks for the info on suppliers

Have a great and safe time over the holidays

Ian
FollowupID: 776758

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Dec 20, 2012 at 12:55

Thursday, Dec 20, 2012 at 12:55
Thanks for your good wishes, Ian. All the best to you too.

Distance excepted, the light bars can't get much better.

Because they're so bright, large roadside signs reflect heaps of glare back at you, and it's difficult to see what, or anything that is past the signs. And these are often at spots like bridges, floodways, or parking bays, where there may be an obstacle, or three. Either switch them off, or hit low beam, at that point.

Rest of the time, all good Ian.

Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 776768

Follow Up By: Member - powernut (SA) - Friday, Dec 21, 2012 at 19:00

Friday, Dec 21, 2012 at 19:00
I am a bit of a tradtionalist when using driving lights. I find the reflection from road side signs a real problem where I live. I have a real roo problem, (counted 15 on the side of the road over a 5 Kilometer patch last week) so I need good lights, but I find a couple of good tradtional 100 watter spread beams do the job. For that reason I wouldnt go for HID or LED. The brighter your lights the earlier you have to dip them, so for perhaps 500 - 700 meters you are driving on low beam. Sort of defeats the purpose I think.
I am an apprentice retire. Its looking like my most successful career to date.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 776866

Follow Up By: Member - Noldi (WA) - Thursday, Dec 27, 2012 at 13:38

Thursday, Dec 27, 2012 at 13:38
Thanks PN, I see your point, and am starting to waiver, for the amount of night driving I'm not sure the cost / benefit is there.

Thanks everyone for your inputs though
FollowupID: 777147

Sponsored Links